What is this new year going to be like for you?
Your adversary is already working a powerful lie into your life. He's always been trying to get you to believe it. What is the devil's lie? "There's always more time."
I shared this story with my kids on the first day back to school.
One day Satan gathered his assistants to discuss the most effective method of destroying the meaning of people’s lives. One suggested, “Tell them there is no God.” Another said, “Tell them there are no consequences to their actions.” A third proposed, “Tell them they have strayed so far from the right path they will never be able to change.” “No,” Satan replied, “such things will not matter to them. I think we should simply tell them, ‘There is plenty of time.’”
Now is the time to get serious about breaking through the walls that are holding you back. I don't have to tell you this. We all know the time to grow spiritually is NOW. We’ve all felt the need to move from simply existing to living on purpose, or rather living with God's purpose at work in us. We are all yearning for more to this life with God than we are currently experiencing.
At Heartland Church we have been planning and preparing a specific pathway to share how you can take an authentic, meaningful spiritual walk with a company of like minded believers. This journey is guided by three primary questions: “Who is God?” “Who am I?” And, “What does God desire to do through me?”
Over the next year we want to give you the pathway and the process to walk through the following stages of spiritual growth.
- How to develop a Biblical Foundation.
- How to appreciate God’s sovereign, shaping work in your life
- Why is is necessary to be a part of a spiritual community in the way of Jesus.
- How to implement the critical practices of serving and influencing others in Jesus’ Name.
If we are going to realize real change and personal transformation in 2012, we have to decide to grow spiritually. It will not just happen. You're going to have to choose to be intentional and purposeful about your spiritual growth going forward.
Here's what the path look's like:
- A commitment to meet weekly with a group of like-minded believers guided by a trained facilitator for two uninterrupted hours a week.
- In 2012, meet for two seasons or “semesters.” Spring and Fall, about 16 weeks each.
- The meetings will be focused, encouraging safe relationships, accountability, thoughtful reflection, honest conversation and prayer.
- You will spend some time (an hour or two) each week in reading and prayerful reflection on the content presented from the Bible, the books read together, and teaching content of the group. (The first book on our reading list will be Henry Nouwen’s, “In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership.”)
- You will each be encouraged to identify a mentor or spiritual friend (a running buddy!) for encouragement, support and prayer.
- You will have opportunities in 2012 to get away together for a retreat with your group, and perhaps a few workshops.
- Naturally, there will be a financial commitment as well, considering all the materials that will be necessary and places you will want go together.
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SOMETHING YOU WANT TO BE A PART OF?
I’m looking forward to seeing you Sunday for the FIRST! CONFERENCE, Sunday morning at 9:00. 10:00 & 11:00 AM, Sunday evening at 6:00 PM, and Monday and Tuesday evenings at 7:00 PM. This will be an incredible way to start the New Year putting Jesus first!
You do not have more time. NOW is the time! Don't put it off any longer.
Let me know if you're going to be there!
Let me know if this focused spiritual journey is something you can say, "Yes, I'm in!"
Spread the word!
On the journey with you,
Pastor Darryn Scheske